Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Saguaros, Gila Monsters, Mountains...Oh My!

Ever since I officially proclaimed I will be attending the University of Arizona in the fall, I've been asked this question every other day:
"Are you sure you can handle living in a conservative state?"
...and the answer is YES. My decision to attend UA transcended political ideology. The truth is we only hear what we perceive to be the "wacky" and "ridiculous" political stories of Arizona up here in MA because that's what gets the most attention.  Having spent two summers living in Arizona and two whole years researching the contours and nuances of the politics the state, I've learned a lot about my future home and it's not all bad. The Arizona state legislature has passed legislation that has deeply impacted the lives of many residents, including documented and undocumented immigrants. The reality is that despite the fact that we only hear the "crazy," the "wacky," and the "wonky" stories up north; there is great progress being made on campuses across the state, especially in Tucson. UA just inaugurated their first female president ever in the fall and the university's commitment to social justice and diversity is felt through nearly every division on campus. I'm excited to be directly part of the sj movement through my assistantship with the Women's Resource Center by working in coalition with a number of other offices and divisions.

I chose UA for several including; location, quality of my program, and overall fit. I've always wanted to attend and work at an institution with deep rooted traditions and school pride. I'm proud to say that I'm going to be an adopted Wildcat (I will always be a Bear, first and foremost) and can't wait to call Tucson home for the next two years.  I'm excited to sit classrooms taught by my higher ed research heroes. I'm also excited live in the desert, have mountains in my backyard, enjoy the sunshine (and, yes, the heat!), and this should come as no surprise, be semi-proximal with my partner, Andrew.

I officially head off to Tucson to start my new journey in 11 weeks. I've waited for a long time to say that I'm going to grad school and living out exactly what I've dreamed and aspired to all these years.

2 comments:

James Hayes-Bohanan said...

Well put, Kayla. We enjoyed our time in Tucson, though the politics were crazy then, too. We found a lot of kindred spirits -- at the university and elsewhere -- and also were able to make a real difference at times.

Massachusetts has a lot going for it, but it is a liberal Nirvana only if viewed from a great distance. Arizona spends more per capita, for example, on public higher education.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Kayla! I am happy for you.

Post a Comment